Why do I have to pay for bandwidth at all?
Truth is that bandwidth is expensive.
Transmissing data from point A to B in a reliable way requires a lot of things to happen.
- Maintenance - if something goes wrong there has to be a person to fix it.
- Limited resources - There isn't infinite bandwidth available. Hence, people must 'pay' to use it.
- No cost to transfer electrons - While you maybe right about the low cost of transferring electrons, it does consume 'some power'. Incrementally that amounts to significant costs.
- Network upgrades - Networks and bandwidth must be constantly upgraded to keep up with demand. The research and development around it is supported by charging for bandwidth.
- And more reasons that involves peering and multiple network providers from point A to B that demand their cut.
The following CloudFlare article on The Relative Cost of Bandwidth Around the World can clarify it better than we do.
Seedbox Traffic Limits
Due to the costs of bandwidth, we are required to limit the the traffic each Seedbox.
The good news?
Each Seedbox plan comes with a monthly traffic quota included that resets every month:
- Fast - 5TB Monthly Traffic
- Quick - 10TB Monthly Traffic
- Stream - 15TB Monthly Traffic
- Rapid - 20TB Monthly Traffic
- Furious - 25TB Monthly Traffic
(Full details in our pricing table).
If you do not require more than these limitations, that's great! 😃
What happens after I cross my monthly traffic limitation?
We are a very transparent company and do not have any intentions to include hidden costs.
In your client area, you have a transparent Seedbox Transfer pool so you can see what's your monthly traffic consumption any time you want.
Tip: By moving the mouse over the green bar you can get an exact percentage of usage.
Once you are reaching 100%, we'll start counting your extra traffic consumption and it looks as follows:
As you can see, moving the mouse on top of the red bar shows you how much extra traffic you have consumers this month which you will be charged against.
Fair billing policy
So how does this actually work?
Quite simple, If the transfer exceeds the amount included in your Seedbox plan at the end of the billing cycle, you will be charged $2.5/€2 per extra terabyte used.
And no, we don't charge for half terabytes, or any other fraction of a full terabyte. 😉
Yearly subscriptions will be charged monthly only if they exceed the transfer included in their Seedbox plan. However, if your Seedbox doesn't reach transfer limit by the end of the billing period or exceeds limit by less than 1 terabyte, there will not be any charges. (Therefore, we still recommend upgrading to a yearly subscription if you like the service and which to save some money).
On your next billing cycle, your invoice will include (if required) a new line item with the extra data transfer and the amount to be as transparent as possible about it.
What's in if for you?
Think about it this way, this limitation is also scaring away abusive users who may clog the server your Seedbox is hosted on.
The result? better average traffic speeds across the board. 🚤
In addition, it allows us to continue investing back in our hardware, and the quality of the service.
I don't know what to do next...
If you need any assistance, let us know by opening a chat in the lower right hand corner of your screen. We're here to help 😄